Wednesday, July 22, 2009

ED638: Teaching with the Internet
Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera

Reflection # 2

Looking at how much have I fared so far, I would say I’m improving a little in using the Internet. What I could not do so far is to access the Live Text. Every time I tried to get in, it said invalid login. I tried using my user and password given to me from those moodleroom people at UOG along with my COM-FSM user password, it kept rejecting them, saying they are invalid. So this is one thing that I could not do so far.

As for the reading assignments, I’m beginning to enjoy them and to get the feel of them. I realized how outdated I am on the new ideas and ways to improve the students’ knowledge in reading and writing.

I’m beginning to also understand that the Internet is a wealth of knowledge and that all I need is to use it. There are thousands of new ideas, new methods, new skills, used in different settings which I can tap those that are appropriate to our Chuukese culture and setting.

Recalling the motivation behind my pursuing graduate studies in language and literacy is the fact that students can not do well in English. One prominent reason would be the lack of trained teachers in the field. I know that one person would not solve the problem, but if we can show the teachers how they can improve their students’ abilities in reading and writing in English, provide training to those teachers, then maybe we can convince them to become active participants in the development of our students’ learning abilities in the English language.

As Dr. Mary Spencer, UOG Professor, pointed out in her study back then about our Micronesian students’ abilities in English, our eighth graders are equivalent to that of the second graders in the U.S. I know that here in Chuuk, this is still true as I teach developmental English Classes here at the College of Micronesia-Chuuk Campus.

Thank you very much.
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Rick,

    Indeed, you have improved in your use of the Internet. I am pleased with the progress that you’ve made thus far, and I encourage you to continue to keep up the momentum. With regards to the LiveText, I will follow-up on this and keep you posted.

    It’s wonderful that you are enjoying the readings necessary to complete the weekly IRA effective literacy websites project. There’s no doubt that the Internet presents a wealth of knowledge that can be useful in your instruction of reading, writing, and other essential content areas.

    The cultural aspects can also be addressed as you can research and gather culturally responsive strategies for meeting the needs of the Chuukese students that you teach on a daily basis. You hold the power to make a difference, so I encourage you to be creative and use the effective strategies you’ve gained!

    Your motivation to succeed and make a difference speaks volumes, so I encourage you to keep it up and rise to the challenge, so that our Micronesian students’ abilities in English will continue to improve! You can do it!

    All the best,
    Dr. Rivera

    ReplyDelete